Faculty of Engineering
Department of Civil Engineering
Associate Professor/Senior Lecturer/Lecturer: Structural Engineering
The incumbent will be expected to teach at undergraduate and postgraduate level, develop new research programmes and facilities, supervise postgraduate research,
participate actively in the local structural engineering community and contribute to the profession.
Should suitable applications not be received, then an appointment at lecturer level may be considered. An appointment at this level might be made in support of the current initiatives and responsibilities described above.
Teaching and curriculum development at undergraduate and postgraduate level in structural engineering. Teaching at undergraduate level should ideally be in engineering informatics and modelling, including finite element modelling. At postgraduate level our current needs are in the areas of fire engineering or reliability and standardisation.
Excellent candidates in teaching areas of structural design, mechanics and dynamics and/or engineering materials will also be considered;
- Identifying further areas of research relevant to industry, providing leadership and guidance to researchers and obtaining research funding;
- Involvement with and active contribution to the structural engineering industry and the engineering profession, including developing and presenting short courses for practitioners;
- Representing the University on learned societies and standards organisations;
- Managing and improving the structural engineering units resources, including testing equipment and software;
- Academic and departmental administration.
- An Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA) accredited four-year bachelors degree in Civil Engineering;
- Associate Professor: PhD in Civil Engineering, a minimum of ten years appropriate academic experience in teaching and research, or ten years appropriate practical experience;
- Senior Lecturer: PhD in Civil Engineering, a minimum of eight years appropriate academic experience in teaching and research, or eight years appropriate industry experience;
- Lecturer: MScEng or MEng in Civil Engineering, a minimum of five years appropriate academic experience in teaching and research, or five years appropriate industry experience;
- An appropriate research profile for an appointment at Associate Professor or Senior Lecture level;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to teach structural engineering effectively in a multi-lingual environment at undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in computer programming (C++, Java, or Python);
- Registered as a Professional Engineer with the ECSA, or eligible for such registration;
- Involvement in the technical activities of the local and international structural engineering community;
- Contributions to the engineering profession, e.g. standards development, publications, etc.;
- Experience in the use of modern structural engineering software packages;
- Experience in planning engineering experimental work and in the use of testing equipment;
- At lecturer level: a PhD in Civil engineering, or completion of the degree within one year after appointment.
The University will consider all applications in terms of its Employment Equity Plan, which acknowledges the need to diversify the demographic composition of the staff corps, especially with regard to the appointment of suitable candidates from the designated groups.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Apply online by visiting www.sun.ac.za/english/careers
Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and e-mail address of at least three referees), must reach the University before or on the closing date of the advertised post.
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.
The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates.
Should no feedback be received from the University within six weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application did not succeed.