University of the Western Cape
University of the Western Cape: Human Resources
Main Campus – Bellville WC ZA (Primary)
Manager: Human Resources
Post Number: 731
Key Performance Areas
The role of the Human Resources Department is to support the University’s People Strategy which presents challenging people deliverables in relation to change and transformation projects and strategies. Transformational leadership is required from all at the University, and the role of HR is both to enable and facilitate processes for continuous improvement.
The role of the Manager: Human Resources is to support the HR Director with operational activities and outcomes; provide continued support to HR Director in line with the Institutional Operating Plan and objectives relating to the role of the HR Generalists and also to provide an HR generalist service to a business unit or faculty.
Key Deliverables of the role (in addition to work required as an HR Generalist):
• Ensure effective support for the operational deliverables in HR in-line with the directives of the HR Director and Executive Director: HR
• Providing operational support, guidance and advice on HR operations to the HR Generalists
• Continuous coaching of HR Consultants to ensure achieving personal development goals in consultation with the HR Director
• Policy and process support to academic and or professional divisions in support of the HR Consultants
• Support the HR Generalists with reporting, for example:
o Yearly people plan for Faculty(ies) and Unit(s)
o Yearly & Monthly interpretation of statistical information (people metrics) for specific divisions and faculties
• Coordinate yearly, bi-annually and monthly reporting on the application of specific HR Practices and other related legislative reporting to the Executive member/Head of a Department as appropriate for Faculties and Divisions, including:
o Employment Equity
o Skills Reporting
o People Cost & Remuneration reports (incl. benefits)
o Staff Turnover; Absenteeism, Leave and Overtime
• Identify competency Gaps i.e. performance/skills of HR Generalists
• Support optimal design and structuring in the workplace
• Assess progress on OD projects/work implementation
• Give employee relations advice
• Serve on management and governance committees
Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced persons in possession of preferably, a relevant postgraduate qualification, proven management experience and have at least five years’ experience as a HR Generalist. Proven competencies such as sound knowledge of relevant legislation are essential, as are excellent leadership skills, planning, organizing, and facilitating and problem-solving abilities.
In your application, you are encouraged to highlight your strengths and also include anything else that you feel may be pertinent to the selection panel. Please attach your covering letter, a detailed curriculum vitae and highest qualification to your online profile. To be considered for this vacancy, you must click on the Apply for this Job link below or apply directly via UWC Careers at https://uwc.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/JobSearch/viewAll. For any queries, please contact the Human Resources Department at +27 21 959 4063/9763/9708/3551/3756.
EQUITY DISCLAIMER: In line with the University’s commitment to diversifying its workforce, preference will be given to suitably qualified applicants in line with Employment Targets of the University. The University reserves the right to not make an appointment, make an appointment at a different level, seek additional candidates and may conduct competency assessments.