Western Cape Department of Education
CHIEF EVALUATOR: SCHOOLS EVALUATION AUTHORITY
(SEA) (4-year non-renewable appointment)
1. I, the Provincial Minister of Education in the Western Cape, under regulation 2(1) of the Regulations on the Western Cape Schools Evaluation Authority, 2019, published under Provincial Notice 47/2019 in Provincial Gazette 8079 dated 11 April 2019 (“the regulations”), invite applications for persons to be considered for appointment as Chief Evaluator under section 11A(2) of the Western Cape Provincial School Education Act, 1997 (Act 12 of 1997) (“the Act”).
2. The functions of the Chief Evaluator are to: • Ensure the delivery of evaluations of school performance, including judgments about quality, other findings and recommendations based on sound evidence. • Publish and disseminate clear and accessible school evaluation reports and information including quality judgments and other findings and recommendations. • Ensure the efficient administration of the SEA. • Implement, review, and improve the school evaluation policy, model and tools in line with provincial frameworks and international best practice.
3. A copy of the Act and the regulations which contain a full description of the functions of the Chief Evaluator, a description of the purpose of Western Cape Schools Evaluation Authority, the role profile and person specifications, are available on the website of the Western Cape Education Department at https://wcedonline.westerncape.gov.za/
4. Section 11B of the Act provides that to be eligible for appointment the person must:
(a) be a South African citizen;
(b) not be an unrehabilitated insolvent;
(c) not, at any time, have been convicted of—
(i) an offence for which he or she was sentenced to imprisonment without the option of a fine;
(ii) a sexual offence against a child; or
(iii) theft, fraud, forgery, the uttering of a forged document, perjury, any offence in terms of the
Prevention and Combating of Corrupt Activities Act, 2004 (Act 12 of 2004), or any offence of which dishonesty is an element, whether in the Republic or elsewhere if the conduct constituting the offence would be an offence in the Republic;
(d) possess appropriate knowledge of, or experience in, education and school management. At least an undergraduate qualification (NQF level 7) as recognised by SAQA and at least 5 years’ experience at senior managerial level is advantageous.
5. The appointment of the Chief Evaluator is, in terms of section 11A (3) of the Act, for a non-renewable term of 4 years. The terms and conditions of appointment as Chief Evaluator are regulated by agreement between the Provincial Minister and the Chief Evaluator.
6. Remuneration is determined by the Provincial Minister in terms of section 11E of the Act and could be in the starting range of R1,07 million per annum.
7. The location of the appointment is in Cape Town, South Africa.
8. Preferred applicants may be subjected to a competency based interview and assessment.
9. Preferred applicants will be subject to a security clearance, and suitability checks that include qualifications, previous employment and appointments, criminal records and credit verification as well as reference checking.
10. The appointment is a statutory appointment in terms of the Act and no relationship of employment will be created. The appointment will be governed by a written agreement between the Provincial Minister and the successful applicant in terms of regulation 3(2) of the regulations.
11. Applications submitted must include a letter of application and a full curriculum vitae which indicates at least two contactable references.
12. Applications must be addressed and delivered to: Head of Ministry, Vunani Chambers, 33 Church Street, Cape Town, 8000
13. The closing date for applications is 13 June 2019.
14. Enquiries may be directed to the Head of Ministry on 021 483 6574.
To apply for this job please visit wcedonline.westerncape.gov.za.