The City of Cape Town
The City of Cape Town promotes and applies the principles of employment equity. People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
SPATIAL PLANNING AND ENVIRONMENT ● ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT
DIRECTOR: ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT
TCOE: SALARY COMMENCING FROM R1 665 441 – R2 136 128 PER ANNUM ● REF NO: SPE 12/21 ● VARIOUS POSSIBLE LOCATIONS
- A relevant Bachelor’s degree in environmental, planning, science, engineering, economic or relevant environmental field
- Relevant postgraduate degree will be highly advantageous
- Qualifications in management and leadership will be advantageous
- Extensive relevant experience (ten (10) years’ minimum) with both functional and technical experience in a local government setting
- Computer literacy in MS Office
- Code B/EB driver’s licence.
Key performance areas:
- The successful incumbent will need to be, customer focussed, and strategically direct and lead the City of Cape Town’s environmental management function, which includes:
- Environmental policy and strategy, environmental compliance and enforcement, environmental education, awareness and livelihoods
- Strategic and operational functional management responsibilities for biodiversity (including 23 nature reserves), coastal management, and a district-based environment and heritage management function that provides value adding inputs into land-use and building plan applications, processes outdoor signage applications and provides an overall qualitative districts environmental management function.
- Ensuring that appropriate systems, by-laws, policies, guidelines and plans exist and by contributing to the workflows of relevant line functions as well as providing a high-quality environmental service to the public
- Building on the successful corporate environmental and sustainability programmes through collaboration and partnerships internal and external to the organisation
- Providing an advisory service to internal and external stakeholders on environmental matters and best practice
- Development of and integration of environmental management priorities into the City’s strategic programmes including IDP, CPPPM, budgets and other strategic City, governmental and international initiatives
- Leading the protection, improvement and value generation of the city’s unique environmental assets
- Leading and directing over 300 staff in the department and forging strong internal and external relationships for positive outcomes
- Directing, managing and controlling the Department’s annual capital and operational budget in line with legislative requirements and through innovation
- Leading, establishing and implementing the department’s business plan; policies; strategies and by-laws, using performance management to align to organisational and other legislative and best practice objectives
- The incumbent is expected to represent the City on environmental and strategic matters internal and external to the organisation.
CLOSING DATE: 16 April 2021
Please apply online at www.capetown.gov.za/careers (external applicants) or via the SAP Portal (internal applicants), unless otherwise stated.