Website Bitou Municipality
is inviting applications or the following Senior Management
vacancy from suitably qualified professionals:
The post is subject to a Fixed Term Contract
of Employment and will expire 1 year after the next
local government elections
Notice number: 323/2018
The total remuneration package applicable to a Category 3 Municipality per annum is offered. (Determined by the
Upper Limits of total remuneration packages payable to Municipal Managers and Managers directly accountable
to Municipal Managers.)
Minimum: R1 038 509 per annum Midpoint: R1 193 690 per annum Maximum: R1 348 869 per annum
In order to meet the needs of Bitou Municipality, the successful applicant must conform to the following
requirements: Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration / Political Science / Social Science / Law or equivalent
• Five (5) years’ relevant experience at senior management level and proven successful institutional transformation in public and private sector
• Advanced knowledge and understanding of relevant policy and legislation
• Advanced understanding of institutional governance system and performance management
•Advanced understanding of council operations and delegation of powers
• Good governance
• Audit and risk management establishment and functionality
• Budget and finance management
• Excellent facilitation and communication skills in at least two of the three official languages of the Western Cape
• Valid driver’s licence and own transport
• Successfully completed the Minimum Competency requirements as per Government Notice GNR493 published in Government Gazette no 29967, dated 15 June 2007, and Local Government: Regulations on Appointment and Conditions of Employment of Senior Managers, GNR 21, GG 37245, dated 17 January 2014.
Key Performance Areas
• The development and management of an economically effective, accountable administration which is
equipped to implement the municipality’s integrated development plan, to operate in accordance with the municipality’s performance management system and to understand the needs of the local community
• The management of the provision of services to the local community in a sustainable and equitable manner
• The appointment, training, discipline and effective utilisation of staff
• The promotion of sound labour relations and compliance with applicable labour legislation
• Advising the political structures and political office bearers, managing communications between these parties as well as carrying out their decisions
• The administration and implementation of the municipality’s by-laws and other legislation
• Exercising of any powers and performing any duties delegated by the municipal council, or by other delegating authorities of the municipality
• Facilitating participation by the local community in the affairs of the municipality
• Developing and maintaining a system for the assessment of community satisfaction with municipal services
• The performance of any other function that may be assigned by the municipal council and as accounting officer
• Responsible for all income and expenditure of the municipality, all assets, the discharge of all liabilities of the municipality, as well as the proper and diligent compliance with applicable municipal finance management legislation
• Facilitate the coordination of the economic development initiatives
• Other relevant duties.
Candidates will be subjected to an interview and competency assessment and must be aware that previous employers and references will be contacted and their qualifications, credit and criminal records will be verified.
The candidates will be required to disclose all financial interests.
An official application form applicable to Senior Managers (available on the municipal website) must be completed and must be accompanied with a covering letter, comprehensive CV, original certified copies of qualifications, Identity Document and driver’s licence and the names of three contactable references from current and previous employers must be provided.
Applications must be posted / couriered to Bitou Municipality, Private Bag X1002, Plettenberg Bay 6600 or hand delivered to the Human Resources Section, Sewell Street, Plettenberg Bay 6600, for attention of the Senior Manager: Human Resources, Mrs Tanya Wildeman.
Application forms are available on the Bitou website (www.bitou.gov.za)
For enquiries, contact the Manager: Human Resources Administration Mrs Venus Cunningham, on 044 501 3442 during office hours.
1. Appointment will be made according to the Council’s Employment Equity Plan, which ensures representation of designated
groups in the Municipality, including those with disabilities.
2. ONLY hard-copy applications will be considered. NO electronic or faxed applications will be accepted.
3. No late applications will be considered. Canvassing of Councilors with the purpose of being appointed is not permitted
and proof of such canvassing shall lead to disqualification.
4. Please quote reference number (notice number).
5. Appointment is subject to the signing of an employment contract and performance agreement in terms of Section 57 of the
Municipal Systems Act. The appointment will be done in accordance with the Regulations on Appointment and Conditions of
Employment of Senior Managers.
Correspondence will be limited to shortlisted candidates only, if you do not receive a response within 3 months from
closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.
Bitou reserves the right not to make any appointment.
CLOSING DATE: 12 December 2018 at 14:00