City of Cape Town
The City of Cape Town promotes and applies the principles of employment equity. People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
ENERGY AND CLIMATE CHANGE • SUSTAINABLE ENERGY MARKETS
PRINCIPAL PROFESSIONAL OFFICER: ECONOMY AND FINANCE CLIMATE ACTION
TCOE: SALARY COMMENCING FROM R1 026 140 PER ANNUM • REF NO: NRG 32/21
- Postgraduate degree in Climate Science, Economics, Development Studies, Engineering
- Eight (8) years’ professional experience
- Knowledge of the green economy, renewable energy industry markets and their drivers of growth, climate change mitigation and adaptation, climate finance and carbon pricing and tax
- Skills in business plan development, research, particularly market research through direct elicitation from businesses and sectors, coordination of actions in climate change programmes, energy or financial modelling and costing and budgeting
- Valid Code B driver’s licence.
Key performance areas:
- Coordinating and driving economy actions in the City of Cape Town’s climate action plan
- Profiling local demand for onsite PV systems at different scales
- Profiling emerging local demand for ‘green powerfuels’ at different scales
- Supporting a green jobs programme with energy and decarbonisation opportunities
- Supporting the Climate Change Mitigation Project Manager and Head: Adaptation with research into climate change finance options for the City and developing a shared database
- Identifying and scoping a pipeline of climate change related projects across departments annually for further development or strategic selection and presentation to the City’s budget process, as required by finance colleagues
- Assessing carbon tax and trading impacts and opportunities
- Recommending/facilitating external funding of selected CC projects and develop early stage and mature business cases for climate change applications coordinating with finance colleagues
- Supporting the allocated focal point with the implementation of and reporting on the steps taken by the City to meet its fossil fuel divestment commitment
- Liaising with Corporate Project Management to track the progress of climate projects in the City project pipeline and report annually
- Leading the development and implementation of a climate change benefits tracking system.
Please apply online at http://www.capetown.gov.za/careers (external applicants) or via the SAP Portal (internal applicants) unless otherwise stated.
Closing date: 2 July 2021
- Please quote the reference number of the vacancy in all communications.
- Certified copies of qualifications must be available on request.
- Copies of supporting documents will not be returned.
- Kindly note that applications will not be acknowledged in writing.
- Visit our website at capetown.gov.za/careers
- No late applications will be considered.
- If no notification of appointment is received within three (3) months of the closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.