Nelson Mandela University
Senior Engineer Electric Vehicle Systems
Post Code: 9302
Campus: Port Elizabeth
Fixed Term Contract
South Africa, Eastern Cape, Port Elizabeth
Nelson Mandela University is a new generation university, committed to offering accessible higher education in a dynamic environment of excellence and innovation. We are committed to the growth and development of our people as the key to our continued excellence and quality.
Core Job Purpose: The planning and execution of electric vehicle systems and infrastructure related projects. The incumbent will be responsible for setting project quality targets through continues project analysis and ensuring the correctness of engineering deliverables. Mentoring junior engineers and technicians is critical as well as the coordination of projects and external partners. It is expected of the Senior Engineer to be self-motivated, intellectually curious and professional. Main tasks include the following:
- Research and analyse automotive and energy ecosystem, specifications, manuals, standards and other data to evaluate the feasibility, cost, and maintenance requirements of projects, designs or applications
- Interpret technical drawings, schematics and computer-generated reports
- Directing tests according to various international engineering standards/specifications
- Provide feedback to clients/partners on engineering progress/challenges and needs
- Oversee the development, installation and operation of electric vehicle systems and infrastructure according to specifications and safety standards.
- Development of project plans, timelines, budgets and determining project resource requirements
- Manage allocated project resources to ensure delivery with technical staff, technology partners and sub-contractors
- Liaison between clients and project team
- Documentation of projects according to internal and external documentation standards
- Ensure all work is done in accordance with acceptable engineering methods and principals
- Obtaining of new business for the unit.
Key Performance Areas:
- The Senior Engineer is responsible for the performance of engineering activities of electric vehicle system and infrastructure related projects
- Responsible for direct supervision of technical staff assigned to projects
- Conduct investigations of functional engineering problems, devising practical approaches to the problem, formulating plans and solutions
- Assures that work performed complies with the accuracy level and time constraints required for the project
- Responsible to the Manager for personnel forecasting, utilisation, performance appraisals/recognition, on the job training and development of all assigned personnel
- Supervise projects and team members were applicable according to project procedures and policies.
- Experience in electric vehicle design and maintenance
- Technical knowledge in designing and testing battery systems
- Understanding of high voltage DC electrical systems, micro grids, wiring and contactor analysis and selection
- Experienced in CAN communication implementation and debugging
- Team player with strong desire to support team success
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and presentation skills.
- Eng., B.Sc. or B.Tech. Electrical Engineer or equivalent
- Minimum of five years’ relevant experience
- ECSA Registration as a professional Technologist/Engineer.
Enquiries: Ms Fa-eeza Grimsel; tel. 041 504 3555 or via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for all applications: 28 July 2019
Nelson Mandela University reserves the right not to make an appointment. In considering candidates for appointment into the advertised posts, preference will be accorded to persons from a designated group in accordance with the approved University’s Employment Equity Plan.