City of Cape Town
The City of Cape Town promotes and applies the principles of employment equity. People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CORPORATE SERVICES ● POLICY AND STRATEGY
SENIOR PROFESSIONAL OFFICER: APPLIED ECONOMIST
TCOE: SALARY COMMENCING FROM R840 607 PER ANNUM ● REF NO: CS 39/21 ● CIVIC CENTRE, CAPE TOWN
The City is seeking a technically skilled and dynamic economist to join a growing economics unit that is applying new and innovative economic analysis on a range of urban challenges and projects, directly informing strategic and operational decision-making.
- A Master’s degree in Economics
- At least five (5) years’ relevant functional experience
- Proven experience in undertaking socio-economic cost benefit analysis (and related techniques) and impact evaluation on projects and policies
- Understanding of the economics of urban areas – experience in working with, or for, local government will be an added advantage
- Strong ability to collect; organise and analyse diverse data sets
- Demonstrated problem-solving abilities and adaptability across content fields
- Strong project and stakeholder management experience.
Key performance areas:
- Undertaking research on key informants for infrastructure and service delivery planning (i.e. understanding consumption patterns, demand forecasting, willingness to pay etc.)
- Undertaking situational analysis of the Cape Town (or sub-metro) economic context, so as to inform policy and project-level decision-making
- Applying specialised economic appraisal techniques, including CBA; CE, MCDA, to key City of Cape Town projects and policies
- Evaluating the efficacy and impact of City projects; programmes and policies through the use of experimental and quasi-experimental techniques
- Interpreting the outcomes of CBAs; impact evaluations and impact modelling for the City and effectively communicating these outcomes and any consequential recommendations to inform decision-making processes
- Assisting with the economic prioritisation of infrastructure projects and contributing to the City’s stage gate (project preparation) process
- Providing expert economic advisory services to line departments, particularly at a project level
- Proactively contributing to the City’s economic research agenda and actively collaborating with external researchers on applied economic research.
Please apply online at www.capetown.gov.za/careers (external applicants) or via the SAP Portal (internal applicants) unless otherwise stated.
Closing date: 25 June 2021
- Please quote the reference number of the vacancy in all communications.
- Certified copies of qualifications must be available on request.
- Copies of supporting documents will not be returned.
- Kindly note that applications will not be acknowledged in writing.
- Visit our website at capetown.gov.za/careers
- No late applications will be considered.
- If no notification of appointment is received within three (3) months of the closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.