City of Cape Town
The City of Cape Town promotes and applies the principles of employment equity. People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
ENERGY AND CLIMATE CHANGE ● ELECTRICITY GENERATION AND DISTRIBUTION ● INFRASTRUCTURE OPERATIONS
TECHNICIAN: PROTECTION AND TELECOMS
BASIC SALARY: R369 348 PER ANNUM ● REF NO: NRG 20/21
- National Diploma in Electrical Engineering
- At least one year’s post-qualification experience applicable to protection and control systems including the commissioning of medium voltage primary plant and equipment
- A high degree of computer literacy
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Ability to calculate basic fault levels and relay grading/settings
- A valid Code B or EB driver’s licence.
Special conditions may include:
- Required to work in all weather conditions
- Required to work outside normal working hours during emergencies and overtime, and will be required to do standby duties
- Required to participate in the Essential Users Vehicle Scheme
- Required to be appointed as a Responsible Person in terms of the NRS Switching Regulations.
Key performance areas:
- Performing primary injection tests to ensure the correct current transformer ratios, indication metering scales and secondary wiring circuits, including current and voltage transducers
- Performing secondary current and voltage injection tests to ensure the correct operation and settings of over current and earth fault relays as well as feeder current differential (Solkor) and arc detection bus-zone protection relays and associated control systems
- Downloading operational relay settings to protection relays and control equipment from a laptop computer, including all internal relay algorithms and logics
- Verifying downloaded settings by checking installed settings and testing the downloaded settings by secondary current injection and timing tests
- Conducting magnetic saturation curve tests and current ratio tests on current transformers
- Testing the condition of pilot cables by conducting pilot insulation and loop-resistance tests
- Replacing of faulty components and cards on protective relays and control equipment, retesting and re-commissioning of repaired equipment
- Conducting emergency repairs on protective relays and control equipment during standby callouts
- Ensuring that test equipment is calibrated and serviced on a regular basis by authorised calibration centres/manufacturers
- Regular inspections and repairs of test leads, connectors, test plugs and rest handles
- Inspecting and reporting on the general condition of protection relays and control equipment
- Recording of protection relay data, including current transformer ratios and classes, switchgear data, serial numbers, model numbers, manufacturers and relay setting data
- Downloading of test results and protective plant data on the Protection Master Database.
Please apply online at www.capetown.gov.za/careers (external applicants) or via the SAP Portal (internal applicants) unless otherwise stated.
Closing date: 14 May 2021
- Please quote the reference number of the vacancy in all communications.
- Certified copies of qualifications must be available on request.
- Copies of supporting documents will not be returned.
- Kindly note that applications will not be acknowledged in writing.
- Visit our website at capetown.gov.za/careers
- No late applications will be considered.
- If no notification of appointment is received within three (3) months of the closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.