Manager: Research Finance (3 year Contract)
Vacancy Type: Temporary
Finance, Eastern Cape > Grahamstown Apply
R 437 362 Annually
Recognising that diversity is important in achieving excellence, Rhodes University especially encourages South African members of designated groups to apply
Managers of Research Finance Offices form part of the management team of the Research Finance section of the Finance Division. The purpose of these positions is to drive the provision of a quality financial grant management service to various recipients of grant and project funding. A strong focus of this position will be to manage and implement various processes to ensure sound governance of this funding. In carrying out these responsibilities, the incumbent will be supporting the Senior Manager: Research & Academic Accounting in his or her mandate of creating an enabling financial administrative environment, in supporting SARChI Chair-holders, Rhodes researchers in academic departments, directors of Institutes and self-funding units, students and postdoctoral fellows engaged in research, teaching and learning and community engagement projects.
- Relevant B Degree /Diploma (3 years of full-time study) or equivalent (with at least Accounts 2) PLUS 7 years relevant experience
- Previous experience in a pressurised computerised accounting administrative environment where there were multiple demands and tight deadlines.
- Previous experience in the preparation and checking of financial statements for audit, prior to their submission to external funders.
- Previous experience working with VAT and applying the principles of the Income Tax Act.
- Previous experience in managing financial processes
- At least 3 years’ experience in supervising staff with a track record for effective management.
- Previous experience and/or involvement/assistance in the development of structures, systems and processes to ensure service delivery of a high quality that is valued by others.
- Previous experience in research grant financial administration and/or having worked with contracts will be an advantage.
For additional information on the requirements, please refer to the Job Profile.
It is essential that prospective candidates read the job profile relating to this post and ensure that all relevant documentation is submitted.
DOCUMENTS FOR APPLICATION
We require an application form, CV and motivation letter.
VERY IMPORTANT: The system DOES NOT allow for multiple attachments. This means that candidates should submit all the documentation as one attachment for each application i.e. An application form, a letter of motivation which clearly indicates the position they are applying for and a comprehensive CV.
Failure to submit such documentation will result in an application not being considered. Please examine the following
- Job profile
- Application form
The selection process that will be followed for this post includes Shortlisting, Assessments and Interviews. The dates are:
Shortlisting – 22nd August 2017
Interviews – 30th August 2017
The Full Minimum Requirements against which candidates are to be measured are outlined in the requirements document.
Remuneration (Grade 15):
Pension/Provident Fund: Total annual cash: R437 362
Total annual package: Approximately R568 574
Closing Date: 5pm on 14th August 2017
If you are not contacted within 30 days from the closing date, please consider your application as being unsuccessful.
Please note that this appointment will be made in line with the requirements of the Employment Equity Act of RSA and the University’s recruitment and selection policies and equity strategies. The initial focus will be on equity candidates. For more detail, refer to the policy contained on the Rhodes University website. All applications will be treated in strict confidence. The University reserves the right not to proceed with the filling of the post. An application in itself does not entitle the applicant to an interview.
In terms of Immigration Legislation (Act No. 13 of 2002 & Regulations), international staff members (non-SA citizens) have to comply with the provisions of the Act. This therefore means that the period of employment to non-SA citizens will be guided by the validity period of the work permit. In line with legislation governing employment of foreign nationals, employment contracts will be offered on the basis that a development plan would be implemented for the transfer of skills to a South African resident. The onus is on candidates to ensure that they are in possession of a valid work permit before the commencement of employment at the University, failing which the employment with Rhodes University will be terminated.